WISKA Member Forum

West of Ireland Sea Kayak Association
It is currently 19 Nov 2019, 09:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2014, 16:58 

Hello,
We are planning a couple of days kayaking around the south west of Ireland. Weather permiting our preferences are Baltimore or around Bantry.

I am wondering if you have some suggestions of any nice trips to be done in this area with some nice overnight camping spots?

Our window of time for the trip is from Monday (22nd Sept) to Friday (26th Sept). So if the weather is anyway bad we will head into some inland waterways further north.

Thank you all in advance
Evelyn

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2014, 08:04 

I have not paddled there yet however asking someone nearby, the following was suggested:

Quote:
Roaring Water is always a good option, lots of sheltered spots if weather's inclement and plenty of islands to camp on. We usually camp on middle calf but there is absolutely no driftwood left there at this stage as it's quite a popular choice so might not be a good option for them. They could do a 2/3 days down there then maybe head up to Kenmare bay for the last two

Quote:
From castletownbere up to eyeries could be another option if weather played ball, it's beautiful down there.

If you have a copy of Oileain, the Recommended Excursions also recommends Roaring Water Bay:

http://www.oileain.org/index.php/recommended-excursions-2/

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2014, 08:08 

Hello,
Thank you very much for the quick response. We really appreciate all that information, now we just have to keep the fingers crossed for the weather :-/

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2014, 13:09 

Hi There, there are indeed lots of options for kayaking around there. My favourite trip was launching from baltimore on the north slipway, seems to be used a bit less and you can park the car close to it. We paddled out from baltimore and headed south west along the coast line and crossed over to sherkin at the shortest distance. If there is swell you will get it here and it can be in all directions as there are lots of rebounding swell moving around here. We paddled down the south facing side of sherkin which on that day was really big swell. The tide doesnt cause an issues here. When you get to the end of sherkin you can either turn left and head back into the bay or you can carry on. We headed further on down the south facing coast of cape clear island. The paddling along cape island I found to be just beautiful. Your quite far out from mainland yet your close to this big island, its a great feeling of adventure and exposure along there. Rounding the tip of cape will give you some work to do depending on conditions. If the swell is big I would defo not round it when tide is against swell and wind. wait for a following tide or slack water. Big waves will breach here and you have to be on your toes. In good conditions its not a bother, remember to keep an eye out for whales around here. The return journey is up the north shore of cape clear island. A stop along clear is definitely recommended, and this is a long trip so set off early. we started in the dark as it was about this time last year that we did this trip. Once you hit sherkin again you can either heard for east calf island or head straight for heir island. We headed for calf and found the tide pushing us out hard so we turned into the tide and headed for heir Island. Heir island is where we camped. There is an obvious long beach in a little bay. We camped far over to the right on the grass by the rarely used road. We checked with the person living in the white house on the right and they were very friendly, almost were surprised that we asked as it seems this is apopular camping spot for people. We bbq'd and drank on the beach but there is meant to be a fine restauraunt and pub on the island too. it was late when we got to the beach and the stars where out so we had nowhere else we wanted to be.
Next day we headed out to strike between the skeems, skirt along the east side of horse island and on to the shore. we didnt stop anywhere in particular just found a nice spot to get the stove out, cook up some mackerel we caught along the way and have a snoozed on some blankets. it was very warm this day. the trip back sort of weaved through gaps and we purposefully wanted to paddle against the strong tidal stream just north of sherkin island and between spanish island, the tides flow really fast along here, about 4-5 knots and its great craic. I've attached an image to show our route. there are lots of nooks and crannies to check out so dont be too late starting. there is a lovely littel gap between spanish island an the main land. This leg of the trip is full of seal and we even spotted quite a few sea otters early in the morning. Iloved this trip, its a long ole one but you can cut out cape clear island if you dont feel like the extra Km's, it certainly wont take away from the trip that is for sure.
Have a great time and dont forget to share you trip with us.
Paddy

Attachments:
File comment: our route
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 92.97 KiB | Viewed 2316 times ]
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2014, 13:40 

Excellent,
Thank you so much.

We are really looking forward to the trip now since Windguru and windfinder (and met.ie), all appear to forcast calm weather for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I am not sure we are up for Cape clear (just lacking a bit of confidence!!). We will try Sherkin and see how we feel and how the weather/swell is.

We will probably start from Baltimore Monday afternoon and maybe try to cross over to Sherkin and camp there. Then on Tuesday morning we will decide which direction to go depending on weather forcasts and our 'feeling'.

Thanks very much for the image of your route. I will print that up along with your trip report.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2014, 14:16 

Hi Togo, I am reliably informed, Also known as told by my wife that we didnt do cape clear on that day, we. I would defo save some time for the islands around sherkin as they are lovely. We didnt camp on sherkin, we did have a look for camp spots but did not find any that would be out of the way, but Heir island was a nice camp.

Paddy

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2014, 14:20 

While I think on it too I did find that even on the clear day it was easy to get turned around amongst the islands so keeping track of your nav is a good idea.

Paddy

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2014, 15:09 

Hi Paddy,
Thanks again for the advice for camping on Sherkin.. I will have a look at the map before we start out.. We will have the GPS with us as well just in case.. I imagine it is easy to get disorientated around the islands.
Evelyn

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2014, 15:33 

Another question:
I have printed up the tides times for Baltimore, however, I was just wondering where I might get a map of tides/currents in the area..

As it was mentioned that there were some strong tides between Sherkin and the spanish islands.

Thanks again

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2014, 16:46 

Unless you can get your hands on marine charts, there is some good information on oileain.org and in the book Oileain II