WISKA Member Forum

West of Ireland Sea Kayak Association
It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 09:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sea kayak recomendation
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2016, 21:35 

Hi there,

Just wondering what sea kayaks you would recommend. To keep this sane could you keep to the following brackets sub €1500, €1500-€2000.

I was looking at
http://www.i-canoe.com/en/Kayaks.21/Touring_Sea_Kayaks.113/Wilderness_Systems.33/TEMP170/Wilderness_Systems_Tempest_170.430.html and wondering if it would do the job.

Would you go the 2nd hand route to get get something better/lighter?

Usage would be Wiska's typical peer paddles around the Clare coast, cliffs of moher, out to Arran Islands etc

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016, 08:47 

Hi Niall,

Few of the lads have the tempest. I'd suggest try before you buy.
Plastic is the way to go though. Something around the 17ft in length. Has to have a Skeg that's critical.
The more of a V chine (keel) it has the more tippy it is. Keep that in mind.

Give us a shout if you want to try out some boats.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016, 17:01 

two of the better plastics to consider would be the Valley Etain or North Shore Atlantic RM. Bantry Bay have them at the moment 1900 and 1700 respectively.

If you could pick either up second hand and in good condition, it is worth considering.

I believe Des Keaney, Deep Blue Sea Kayaks is selling off some of his gear and worth contacting.
http://www.deepblueseakayaking.com/index.php/contact-us

Get as close to 17ft as you can. below 16ft, you will struggle to keep up on peer paddles over distance.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016, 22:18 

Thanks lads, I appreciate the reply's.

Brian I'll take you up on that offer to try out some kayaks. Do I just turn up early for one of your paddles?
I'm curious to know why you said to go with plastic. I thought that composite being more expensive was better. Is it too prone to damage?

I'm finding it very hard to go past the tempest probably due to the price. It's plastic, 17' and has a skeg, the main criteria so far. It'd be nice to try one though.

Niall

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2016, 11:22 

If you are relatively new, I would always suggest plastic first. Plastics can take a good beating before doing any real damage and they require less care. You will not have any issues keeping up with a group, if the boat is in or around the 17ft length.

Composite/glass is more expensive, takes more care and I would never suggest the outlay for a newbie. Make sure you are well into your kayaking before taking on the extra spend (unless you are loaded of course :D) , then it is definitely worth it.

Rather than just showing up to test boats, it is best to make sure the owners of the boats you want to try will be there. If you particularly want to try the Tempest, one of the group has one however, the bugger only shows up now and again and I would check this first. Otherwise, if there are more than 4 - 5 of us meeting up, you can expect 2 - 3 different plastics to be there. Just post that you might turn up and ask to see who is there, you will get a response quick enough.

Aside from the kayak, a basic but reasonable PDF will set you back €100+. NEVER scrimp on the Cag, you do not want to get cold on the water - €200 and nearer to €300. A good farmer john wetsuit (zip both ways!), base layers, warm hats and the list goes on. You will see what most have if you turn up to a meet and we can answer more questions.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2016, 08:47 

Niall give me a shout.

O8seven nine o eight 2606

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2016, 20:38 

Brian McMahon wrote:
Niall give me a shout.

O8seven nine o eight 2606

Will do thanks