WISKA Member Forum

West of Ireland Sea Kayak Association
It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 05:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2018, 12:55 

Hi All,
Like others I'm seeking advice about starting off at sea-kayaking.
I have kayaked (and boated) for a good while in bay waters with a 13ft sit-on kayak but would like to start expanding my horizons beyond the headlands.
Please note that I have a VERY healthy respect/fear for the sea.
I'm based in West Clare and have VERY sheltered waters available to practice and learn starting-off. Ultimately I'd like to get proficient enough to be able to partake in outings like the ones you guys do...which is why I seek your advice.
Advice-wise what I'm looking for is to if there are any groups (formal or informal) in the Clare area (Kilkee-Kilrush-Ennis-Shannon) that are suitable for a NOVICE sea-kayaker to join with to gain experience and learn...I know I wouldn't be ready for your outings yet and wouldn't want to be holding anyone up having to give extra care to the newbie.
Equipment-wise I ask you to cast your mind back to when you were starting out and see what you would suggest as the best course-of-action.
Looking back, would you recommend going for...
(i) a shorter touring kayak like the 15ft Expression https://www.bantry-bay-canoes.com/perce ... -backrest/
(ii) straight to a full sea-kayak like the 17ft Essence https://www.bantry-bay-canoes.com/perce ... sea-kayak/
(iii) chance going second-hand (subject to the obvious checks) like this one recently advertised https://www.donedeal.ie/watersports-for ... k/19427397
Please note that I have NO affiliation to Perception kayaks it just that my sit-on is a Perception Triumph and I have been very happy with it.
Thank you in advance for your time in considering this and helping me get on the road (water) to getting started.
Mick.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2018, 17:21 

hi Mick
like yourself I am only starting out so regrettfully I have no advice
I am from East Clare and have joined the shannon paddlers who meet wednesday evenings on the river in O Briens bridge and at the moment are doing safety training
let me know if you have any success in getting a group of novices on the sea as i would be very interested in getting involved
regards
kevin

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 16:47 

Unless you are somewhat familiar with a full sea kayak, you should get proper instruction and take a few sessions. Ali Donald, Jim Morrissey kayakmor or Patrick in North Clare are your closest options. Take a few sessions, get basic instruction. Make sure it is something you want to pursue before you spend money. After a few of these, with a reasonable level of fitness you would be well capable of joining our shorter trips and take it from there.

If you want to join us, similar groups or any of the ISKA meets, you are going to need at least 16 and preferably 17 feet. Referencing Bantry Bay Canoes, the Perception 17 looks good, I am not familiar with it though. Some of the group have Wilderness Tempest 165 & 170. North Shore and Valley are better again. P&H Delphin 155 is also popular - you usually pay for what you get. Watch canoes & kayaks for sale on FB also for a second hand option. If you can extend yourself for a better boat to start with, you wont have to change and will save in the long term. I have a 12yr old Valley that I still use regularly and it was worth every penny.

Spend money on a good cag (yak apollo), you don't want to get cold. A good farmer john wet suit (two way zip), a decent PFD, decent boots, your under clothes, hats etc. Means of communication on the water, a good quality waterproof phone cover will suffice to start with. If you are with a group, you can build up your safety equipment over time, seeing what others use for ideas. The list can be endless.

We were all beginners at one point, just push yourself a little if it is something you want to pursue. Everyone watches out for each other and we regularly do our own training. If you are in the area when you see a post about a meet, pop along, see what people have and ask questions.

If you are prepared to get wet and willing to take slagging and abuse, you will fit right in.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2018, 15:18 

Hi Conor,
Thanks for the advice. I had been looking at KayakMor alright and will probably head there to get a feel for it and build up some experience.
Cheers,
Mick.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2018, 15:19 

Hi Kevin,
Good tip about the Shannon Paddlers. Best of luck with it.
Cheers,
Mick.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018, 14:21 

Hi mike..i can give you some guidance as i live west clare my self and do a bit of sea kayaking. Happy to help out..

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2018, 19:00 

Hi Mick,

Keep an eye out for pool sessions - usually the Shannon group hold them Thurs nights 8-9pm in the pool in Shannon. It's a good place to meet people, you can bring your 13ft kayak and people will usually help you practice rolls, rescues, sculling techniques, etc Someone will post about them here once they get organised.

Fiona

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2018, 20:28 

Thanks Fiona....I'll keep an eye out for the pool sessions.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2018, 20:30 

Thanks for the reply and the offer Chris....I'll definitely take you up on that.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2018, 16:16 

I'm also interested in joining any of the upcoming pool sessions in shannon, or if there's anything in Limerick City