Friday 15/08 Inis Oirr for a few Pints or Night Camp Eddy

When and where we get together on the water
Post Reply
User avatar
conor
Posts: 1170
Joined: 19 Jan 2011, 22:52
Location: Ennis

Friday 15/08 Inis Oirr for a few Pints or Night Camp Eddy

Post by conor »

Just a thought and not certain yet myself I can make this but will put it out there.

Friday evening paddle to Inis Oirr. Perhaps a few quiet pints, or not, returning Saturday morning?

Anyone?
Last edited by conor on 13 Aug 2014, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Brian McMahon
Posts: 1094
Joined: 20 Jan 2011, 13:15
Location: Ennis County Clare

Re: Friday 15/08 Inis Oirr for a few Pints?

Post by Brian McMahon »

Lovely weather forecast !

But......... Have you looked at the swell report ?

:shock:
Mac

User avatar
Brian McMahon
Posts: 1094
Joined: 20 Jan 2011, 13:15
Location: Ennis County Clare

Re: Friday 15/08 Inis Oirr for a few Pints?

Post by Brian McMahon »

How about camp and fireside drinkie's Eddy island ?
Mac

User avatar
conor
Posts: 1170
Joined: 19 Jan 2011, 22:52
Location: Ennis

Re: Friday 15/08 Inis Oirr for a few Pints?

Post by conor »

That is just Magicseaweed on speed again, always trying to stir things up. Met is giving more reasonable conditions and dry! Sure won't a bit of wind dry out your gear quicker and if there is tail wind and swell, won't you be able to race the ferry in :shock:

Lets stick to Inis Oirr for the moment and keep an eye on conditions, before making final decisions later in the week.

chris
Posts: 374
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 11:18
Location: doughmore beach

Re: Friday 15/08 Inis Oirr for a few Pints?

Post by chris »

Oirr sounds good...dolphin in great form and is out at beach there..come on brian and bring de blue nun..

User avatar
conor
Posts: 1170
Joined: 19 Jan 2011, 22:52
Location: Ennis

Re: Friday 15/08 Inis Oirr for a few Pints?

Post by conor »

We will make the final call for this on Thursday and of course weather dependent. Weather reports are a little conflicting at the moment, depending on which site you look at and we will wait and see.

With ferries available and boats passing you on the water every 15 minutes, we can consider this up to the bottom end of F4 for example. On our tail, it will bring us home nicely.

Eddy should only be considered as a backup as it can be reached any time and in almost any condition.

User avatar
Brian McMahon
Posts: 1094
Joined: 20 Jan 2011, 13:15
Location: Ennis County Clare

Re: Friday 15/08 Inis Oirr for a few Pints?

Post by Brian McMahon »

Ahhh blue nun !

I'm getting post trauma flashbacks at the mention of blue nun.

:shock:
Mac

User avatar
conor
Posts: 1170
Joined: 19 Jan 2011, 22:52
Location: Ennis

Re: Friday 15/08 Inis Oirr for a few Pints?

Post by conor »

Brian, if you knock back two bottles before you get on the water, you won't be in the least bit concerned about the conditions. I am not sure what the kayak equivalent of a drunken stagger is but if you can manage anywhere near straight lines, you can lead :lol:

User avatar
conor
Posts: 1170
Joined: 19 Jan 2011, 22:52
Location: Ennis

Re: Friday 15/08 Inis Oirr for a few Pints or Camp Fire On E

Post by conor »

Pains me as it does to post this, winds on the Saturday morning at F5+ will possibly make the return leg from Inis Oirr a little hot and heavy and it is perhaps best to leave this for another day.

Looking like Eddy Island might be the only alternative, being so far inside Galway Bay, these conditions will not be a concern. Coming out from Kinvara, it will still allow for a half reasonable paddle. Anything shorter is hardly worth the effort.

Like last year, if everyone could 4 to 5 small logs each, we could have the makings of a nice camp fire. If you are organised, perhaps dropping a hand line off the island, you might catch a few mackerel for your tea, otherwise take something to cook up.

I will suggest aim to meet at 6pm, gone for 7pm and back in for 11 or perhaps 12 the following morning to be home for lunch..... Tides are between spring and neaps and against us on both legs but this will not be too big a deal. With the times suggested, we will not need to worry about Kinvara drying out.

Thoughts, comments and commitments please post.

No wussy alternative suggestions please :o

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests